skip to content

Former Lord Raglan Hotel in Cooma

Towns and suburbs close to Cooma | Hotels in Cooma

Former Lord Raglan Hotel

Former Lord Raglan Hotel

This Inn was established in 1854 by James Hain and was first licensed in April 1855. The building is now used as gallery. It is the oldest surviving inn or hotel building in the Cooma area. - Jon Graham

From www.cooma.nsw.gov.au. identified by Jon Graham.

"On April 17th, 1855 James Hain received a licence for The Lord Raglan Hotel, which was built on Lambie Street.

The Lord Raglan was built using locally quarried gniess granite - the walls are half a metre thick, and pit sawn timber for the rafter of the verandah., It was the first building in Cooma to be roofed with flat iron. In 1976 the original roof was authentically replaced.

Where did the name come from? Lord Raglan, a British commander, was born in Somerset, England, in 1788.

The official opening of the Lord Raglan Hotel (July 1855) was affected by its own tragedy. The night before the event, three young men (one of whom was James Hain's son William) shared a small bedroom at the hotel which had been freshly plastered. In order to quickly dry the paint in readiness for the following day, a charcoal fire was lit in a bucket and left to burn all night. In the enclosed space a chemical reaction occurred and the sleepers were overcome by deadly fumes. William died as a result.

After the Hain family left the hotel it had a chequered history. In 1860, in a room at the end of the building, the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney opened Cooma's first bank. James Hain made the first transaction when he deposited several pickle bottles of gold!

Several years later the bank moved into premises on Sharp Street. The Lord Raglan building was used variously as a maternity hospital, a private home, and made into flats.

Former Lord Raglan Hotel

Former Lord Raglan Hotel

Photo 25/05/2005.
Photo and top information submitted by Jon Graham, Many Thanks

By 1950 the building had fallen into disrepair and looked set for demolition.... Mr Lindsay Hain - a grandson of James - was convinced of its potential, and Lindsay found enough financial backers to buy the building. A Trust was formed to control the venture.

In 1970 Cooma Council purchased the Raglan from the Hain Trust and had it declared as a Heritage site.

In 1968 the Raglan was opened as an art gallery. ....Another generous group is restoring and maintaining the garden. [The bay tree in the front yard is more than 100 years old.]

Today the Raglan Gallery and Cultural Centre houses a stock of arts and crafts by local artisans, it stages exhibitions throughout the year, and is also available for functions.

In 1970 Cooma Council purchased the Raglan from the Hain Trust and had it declared as a Heritage site.

In 1968 the Raglan was opened as an art gallery. The Board consists of of art and history-lovers who give their time freely. They are assisted by a team of volunteers who staff the gallery when it is open. Another generous group is restoring and maintaining the garden. [The bay tree in the front yard is more than 100 years old.]

Today the Raglan Gallery and Cultural Centre houses a stock of arts and crafts by local artisans."
-Courtesy paraphrased from www.cooma.nsw.gov.au/culturalmap/places/raglan.htm
New South Wales Government. Many Thanks

11 Lambie Street,
Cooma
New South Wales 2630

< Hotels in Cooma, New South Wales

Load Comments

<< Gday Pubs Homepage